Lose Weight And #SaveMoney

lose weight save money

Did you know that Americans spend an average of $760 per month on things that make, and keep them unhealthy and overweight (fast food, sodas, alcohol, nicotine, etc.)? Wow! And that amount doesn’t even account for the money we spend on medications to stay alive while we are overweight.

According to the Surgeon General, over 61% of us in the U.S. are considered obese and it wouldn’t be out of line to assume that the remaining 39% of us either still needs to, or wants to lose some extra weight. Obesity is a potentially deadly condition accounting for some 300,000 (preventable) premature deaths in the United States each year and billions of dollars in health care costs. ”Being overweight or obese is associated with an increased risk for the development of a multitude of diseases, including cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and more,” says David Katz, MD, MPH, director of Yale University’s Prevention Research Center and of the Yale Preventive Medicine Center. According to several studies, lose just a few pounds and you can start to turn your health around.

The Centers for Disease Control list the following conditions that can be significantly improved or reversed with weight loss:

· High blood cholesterol

· Gout

· Osteoarthritis

· Insulin resistance and glucose intolerance

· Congestive heart failure

· Cholescystitis and cholelithiasis

· Some types of cancer (such as endometrial, breast, prostate, and colon)

· Complications of pregnancy

· Poor female reproductive health (such as menstrual irregularities, infertility, irregular ovulation)

· Bladder control problems (such as stress incontinence)

· Psychological disorders (such as depression, eating disorders, distorted body image, and low self- esteem)

“Lifestyle changes that include healthier diets, regular physical activity, and weight loss of 7%-10% have shown phenomenal health benefits that can be more effective than medications,” says Katz, author of the best-selling book What to Eat. According to Katz, 90% of all diabetes, 80% of heart disease, and 60% of cancers are preventable with normal body weights.

It’s glaringly obvious that we need to lose weight! So what are we waiting for? If it was easy, we wouldn’t be in this predicament. There are thousands of products and services out there that make miraculous claims leading us to believe that fat loss is a no-brainer. NOT TRUE! You need to use your brain to lose weight. Take a minute to evaluate your lifestyle. It doesn’t take a lot of brain power to realize that losing weight not only improves your health, but also your bank account!

So now what? Educate yourself on how to manage your weight loss. It’s your body, so nobody can make it happen but you. Obviously, you need to eat right and be active, but is there anything else that can help? Do the research.

Holly has a Master’s Degree in Exercise Physiology, has been certified through ACSM as a Health/Fitness Instructor and has been working in the wellness industry for over 15 years. 208.661.2220 holly@northidahowellness.com

Be first to comment